The Last Meow

The Last Meow is dedicated to all the pets who died or became seriously ill due to the Menu Foods Pet Food Recall, and the fur siblings they left behind.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Another Victim of Menu Foods

Holbrook, NY: Theresa blames finance-driven veterinary hospitals for letting her dog die without treatment because she was short on funds. But she carries heavy guilt over unwittingly feeding her pet the now-recalled Menu pet food that caused his illness.

"About six weeks before he died," Theresa says, "ChaChee was just a little bit sick-throwing up, lethargic, nothing major so I just took him for a check-up. I got his iron up, like the doctor prescribed, then he was eating again. He was up to two six-ounce IAMS beef with gravy pouches and Eukenuba pink bags for small dogs.

"Then all of a sudden, at the beginning of March, he stopped eating. He started throwing up again, he was always sleeping and he was drinking so much water. My dog is a Shiatsu and normally weighed about 12 1bs and at the groomers they pointed out that he was losing weight.

"On March 11th, it was getting so bad he was just bones and couldn't hold his own body up. I flew right up to Holbrook Hospital. They hooked him up to intravenous then turned and asked me for the $500 payment. Even though I only had $200 in my pocket and I swore I'd pay them off, they blatantly told me it was $500 or nothing. So they sent me to West Islip Animal Hospital, since they did credit plans there.

Read the rest here.

This is such a sad tale. I know how she feels I still feel guilty about feeding Whiskers the tainted pet food and I still miss him every day. At least we were able to afford the medical care he needed, unfortunately there was nothing the vet could do for him.

No comments: